Monday, June 13, 2016

Setup Eclipse with GCC ARM Embedded on 32 bit Ubuntu 16.04 i386

As I have a NUCLEO F401RE Development Board on the way, I try to setup Eclipse with GCC ARM Embedded on Ubuntu 16.04/VirtualBox. It's not my target development platform, just to evaluate Eclipse + GCC ARM Embedded, so I setup on VirtualBox. No flash program will be included.


In the beginning, I tried to do it on 64 bit Ubuntu, but found something wrong in the compiler, such as "Type 'uint32_t' could not be resolved"! I found many suggestion on Internet, but no perfect solution. Then I tried on 32 bit Ubuntu 16.04 i386. It can compile the example code without any problem.

- Ubuntu 16.04 come with gcc, g++ and make installed by default.

- To install Eclipse, jdk is required. To install Oracle Java 8 on Ubuntu, enter the commands:
$ sudo add-apt-repository ppa:webupd8team/java
$ sudo apt-get update
$ sudo apt-get install oracle-java8-installer

This video show how to, but on 64 bit Ubuntu (same procedure):


- Install Eclipse IDE for C/C++ Developers:
Visit http://www.eclipse.org/ to download the 32 bit Eclipse Installer


- Download GCC ARM Embedded
https://launchpad.net/gcc-arm-embedded/+download


- Add GNU ARM Plug-ins to Eclipse IDE
http://gnuarmeclipse.sourceforge.net/updates


- Finally, you can try to new a ARM project in Eclipse
You have to enter the path to the "Cross GNU ARM Toolchain", it's the bin folder of the GCC ARM Embedded downloaded before.





Cross-post in my another blogspot Embedded things.

No comments:

Post a Comment